an intending father

Sunday, September 04, 2005

by way of an explanation

I’ve decided to keep a Blog, as they call it. We’re gonna have a baby and that kinda freaks me out, tho I am more excited then I am scared. Because there are friends and relatives scattered around who might like to keep updated on it, it seems a blog well might be the best medium to do that. I have no plans for how this blog will unfold, or how often I will put stuff here but it will be regular.

A “blog” is a strange thing. An online journal. A web log. I have kept a journal for 11 years and have a big boxful of Warwick 2B5 hardcover, lined, exercise books. They are one of my art forms that require no audience, an expression of madness as Freud would put it (That’s why I’m not that keen on him and prefer Jung). A blog is a journal on line with a weird fragmentary audience, a private public. I feel like I am setting up shop in a mall where people are inside but they are outside my shop.

We are ten weeks pregnant. Or at least Sicily is pregnant and I’m “expecting”. As a matter of fact I am not an “expecting Father”. I am an “Intending Father”. A wise man once wrote “Disappointment is the child of expectation, not intention”. See I have to make this up as I go along. With pregnancy I have no script or ritual so I am making up my own. Sicily has a script, it’s her body and there are definite physical things taking place. So this blog serves as a means to put words on page of my experiences, intentions and discoveries of becoming a father.

AS it stands, this is a new medium for me and will take awhile to figure out what I'm doing (hmm... bit like becoming a father). Anyways, thanks to Tom for helping me, his blog can be read by clicking on the link (and his work with TPK is a fine, fine reason to NOT vote national this election).

1 Comments:

At 12:14 am, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is the first time I have responed to a Blog. But as Luke is a mate or rather a Brother to me I feel like I sould be the first to comment... Well done you mother Fucker... lets look forward to many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home