an intending father

Thursday, October 20, 2005

a suitcase of baby clothes

To follow on with the analogy, a bit of a swell turned up recently. In saying a bit of a swell I should elaborate and say that a suitcase was given to us (a very nice suitcase it is too) of baby clothes from Sicily’s family. When I say baby clothes I mean baby clothes.

Sicily and I were looking through the clothes and as we did I found myself with a rising sense of, not panic, not anxiety, not fear, but maybe it is best described as, a growing sense of reality. Yes, let’s call it a reality buzz.

Are babies really that small?

We are, of course, very appreciative of the nice suitcase and it’s clothes but I experienced, to continue the previous analogy, the sudden sense, that one gets when surfing, commonly referred to as “caught on the inside”. What this means is that you are inside the point between the shore and where the waves break. What this means is a whole lot of paddling and duck diving (where you duck yr surfboard under the breaking wave) to get out the back of the waves again. Which in itself is not to bad, but it gets bad if a set of waves comes through, which it did, the new swell being set off by this suitcase (and a very good suitcase it is as well) full of appreciated baby clothes.

Funny that such a large swell could be set off by such tiny clothes. Are newborns really that little?

Anyway, thanks for the clothes, and the dose of reality they brought. Probably just what I needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home